Scrum master salary is affected by the qualifications a scrum master holds. But did you know that gaining a scrum master certificate widens your IT job prospects and can improve your salary? If you’re a software developer or a project manager, you MUST read this
Scrum master salary review in the UK
Jobserve.com provided the data for two simple searches. One was a search for any job including the words ‘.NET and developer’. The other was a search for ‘.NET and developer and scrum’. A total of 3108 jobs were returned. They were examined and revealed these interesting facts.
Firstly, 15% of developer jobs mention scrum. You can widen your job prospects enormously by having Scrum experience. Not only that but you’ll increase your salary options too because the statistics show the following
- The standard salary range for a basic .NET developer is £30K to £40K
- The standard contract rate for a basic .NET developer is £40 – £50
- The standard salary range for a .NET developer with Scrum is £40K to £50K
- The standard contract rate for a .NET developer with Scrum is £40 – £65
So that’s quite clear. If you’re a .NET developer in a permanent job and you want to increase your salary by up to 66% (up to £20K), get scrum experience. It’s a similar story for contractors. You can increase your contract rate by up to 62% (£25/hr)
Scrum master salary and the Project Manager
The next day, a similar search was conducted, this time compared with project managers. The search was limited to IT and found 2729 jobs posted. The results weren’t quite as clear because project manager salaries fit into the wide £50K – £75K gap shown by JobServe but there were still some interesting facts available:
- Up to 30% of project manager roles include the phrase scrum or agile.
- Only 30% of standard project manager roles posted fit in the £50K – £75K salary bracket
- 39% of scrum project manager roles fit in the £50K – £75K salary bracket
- Only 31% of standard project manager contract roles fit in the £50 – £65 rate
- 52% of scrum project manager contract roles fit in the £50 – £65 rate
So again the statistics are quite clear. You’ve a far better chance of gaining a higher salary, or increased rate if you have Scrum experience.
Scrum master salary and the Scrum Master
Finally, a search was done for scrum master roles on offer. 1127 jobs were posted. The majority were in the £50K – £75K range.
Simply put, get scrum experience and you’ll benefit from increased job opportunities and salary.
Earning an internationally recognised scrum master certificate will help enormously in this regard. To check out the options, try this article on choosing a Scrum Master certificate. Should you decide to take the Professional Scrum Master route, check out the scrum training course schedule.