The Professional Scrum Product Owner Course
The Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) course guides students on how to maximize the value of software products. Product Management consists of much more than writing requirements or managing a Product Backlog. Professional Scrum Product Owners need to have a thorough understanding of everything that drives value from their products.
The PSPO courses teaches this through a balanced mix of instruction and exercises. Metrics are identified to track the creation of value and techniques are taught that validate any assumptions made about value delivered to the marketplace.
More and more organizations are starting to realize the value of the product owner for their scrum implementations. No longer is it a role that can be done part-time by a person who has an alternate primary function. Here’s an overview of what the product owner role requires:
The Product Owner is:
- One person, not a committee.
- Empowered by the organization to take all decisions relating to the product.
- Available to scrum teams as required
- The only person allowed to direct the work of the development team; the development team is not allowed to accept work from anyone else.
- Responsible for:
- Directing the work of the Development Team.
- Maximizing the value of the product & the work of the Development Team.
Additionally, the Product Owner manages the Product Backlog, which includes:
- Clearly expressing Product Backlog items;
- Ordering the items in the Product Backlog to best achieve goals and missions;Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs;
- Ensuring that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the Scrum Team will work on next; and,
- Ensuring the Development Team understands items in the Product Backlog to the level needed.
Ideally, the product owner has full budgetary authority and responsibility for the product.
Product Owners, Entrepreneurs, Product Managers and anyone else accountable for maximizing the value delivered by software products and services. Scrum Masters also benefit from this course as their role often includes coaching Product Owners.